How often did you participate: 8 comments on other Blogger of the Weeks and 14 replies on my own Blogger of the Week.
Discussion blog titles and authors:
- Nuclear Throne and What Makes a Video Game Fun Thomas P.
- Celebrities: Adored By The Masses Laela S.
- Should 16 Year Olds Be Able to Vote in Canada Najib H.
- Humans, the Economy, and a Whole Lot of Inquiring Jeremy W.
- Online Versus Offline Clarissa D.
- The Importance of Sleep for Teens Emily R.
- What is a Search Engine Mohamed M.
- Why You Should Start Reading Alex E.
Please provide a rating for YOUR overall contributions to discussions [1(poor) – 5 (excellent)]: 4. I gave myself a 4 because I did not contribute to a lot of Blogger of the Week posts, but I felt that the contributions I made were effective and thought provoking. I also left many replies to comments that were on my own Blogger of the Week post. I attempted to make a back and forth discussion rather than just a comment-reply-finish discussion. For example, in Alex’s BOTW post, we commented back and forth and I learned his opinion on new things that were not included in his post:
In all my comments, I answered every question that the BOTW poster gave which leads me to give long and detailed comments on a couple BOTW posts:
In my comments, I also provided ways for the poster to improve their post by telling them of grammar or spelling mistakes they had in their post, or giving them new information to add to their post that could strengthen their argument:
1. Is there some aspect of the topic, results, conclusions, or concepts for which you gained a deeper understanding of through the blog discussion? Was there some aspect of the posts you explored that you had not thought of or that you ‘learned’ about from the discussion? In other words, what aspect of the post was clarified or illuminated as a result of the blog discussion?
There were two blog discussions that helped me understand the topic in a broader sense than what I got from reading the post. One of them was in my discussion with Alex on his post of Why You Should Start Reading about the Nobel Literature award for Lord of the Flies. He mentioned that while a book may be awarded an award, it does not mean it is a good book which made be think of what awards mean for literature. The other instance was on Laela’s post of Celebrities: Adored By The Masses, in which she replies saying that a life sentence for murder for a pro football player is fair where as other pro football players are getting with crimes just as bad which made me realize that there are many double standards when it comes to famous people.
2. Were there aspects of the discussions that led to more confusion for you compared to when you read the blog post alone? Was the confusion resolved through discussion? Please explain (make specific reference to the blogs involved direct quotations may be appropriate reference the author).
There was one instance where I became confused on the difference of a search engine and a browser, I don’t know how but it just happened. It was thankfully resolved when the BOTW poster, Mohamed, replied informing me of my mistake. It was in a discussion on his post of What is a Search Engine. Here is a photo of the discussion:
3. Evaluate your role in the Blogger of the Week discussions, in particular, please answer the following two questions: What did you do that was effective at contributing to the discussion(s)? Be specific (adding screenshots of your contributing or copying to your blog may be appropriate). What areas do you need improvement in?
I was effective at contributing to the discussions as I answered all the question given to me by the poster and added my own opinion in them as well. I also provided improvements to the post itself so that it could spark more discussions by others. Take a look at the screenshots above to see a couple of the contributions I have said. One improvement that I could make is to help improve other people’s discussion by replying to them and asking questions to keep the discussion continuing.
4. Can you think of a contribution from another student that stood out in your mind that helped move the discussion along or help the class to move to a deeper understanding of the material? What did the student do? (no need to mention names, just describe what the students did or said).
One student that stood out to was one that would use media to keep the discussion going. He would use topic related videos from Youtube for others to watch and talk about and relate to. This did result in an improve the flow of discussion.
5. Do you have any recommendations to the class as a whole to improve discussions? How are discussions different in an online space versus those held face to face? How are they similar?
The class did a great job on the discussions on the various BOTW posts. One recommendation would be to comment on more BOTW posts as I saw that many BOTW posts had only 3 comments from a class of 20+. Discussions in an online space would take more as people try to make their comments and replies to be perfect. In a face to face discussion, it happens very quickly and effectively at the same time if both people know the topic. They are both similar in that they allow people to express their opinion on the topic at hand.
6. What are your overall thoughts of the Blogger of the Week assignment? Do you have any suggestions for me moving forward to either: a) improve the assignment or b) revise the structure, delivery or scheduling of the assignment itself? Be specific as your opinions will be very helpful for me as I plan for future classes.
I thought that the Blogger of the Week assignment went very well in the fact that people were allowed to express their opinions on any topic that they chose. I noticed that the further we went into the semester, the fewer comments there were on the new BOTW posts. One improvement that could be made to the assignment is to use the assets that were available to the first 3 BOTW posts. The assets I am referring to are the teachers/educators from other schools that provided their unique comments. I felt that they made the discussion clearer for others. This will help get a dynamic discussion into the newer BOTW posts during the later half of the semester and gives a fair chance to everyone.